Tuesday, June 16, 2015

COMMUNITY CONVERSATION: An Idea For Main Street


The Times received the following letter from reader Laura Sysel regarding her business idea to help redevelop Dorchester's main street.
  
Today, we share it with the community and all who care about Dorchester's future:

Dear Dorchester Times:

I have considered contacting the Times before with my idea, but now that I noticed the story about the price reduction of the building that housed Ben's Iron Grill, I felt even more compelled to submit my idea.  I have considered the option of Ben’s building along with several others in town. What is holding me back is that I have an option on a house to move to my property in the country and financing.

I would be open to investors or a partner for an in-town property.  I have had a business idea for quite some time and would love it if you could promote it and see if there would be any interest in such a business among potential investors who want to get it off the ground.  

I was originally looking to have the business out in the country on my property, but with my desire to work with the youth of Dorchester, I feel it would be better suited to in town. With Dorchester Public School no longer offering a Home Economics program (or Family Consumer Science as they call it now), I would really like to gear the business to the youth of town to fill some of the void in our financial education.  I would welcome adults as well who want to learn new skills.  I have been wavering back and forth on location for this business.  Community support would make a huge difference.

Here is my multi-faceted business concept:

1.) The first would be rental based.  I would have cake pans and supplies as well as wedding/prom/party decorations.  Other things could also be added to the rental part.

2.) Teach cake decorating classes, as well as home canning and cooking.  I would be open to other individuals wanting to teach a skill like some of those offered through SCC.

3.) Have custom embroidery and sewing items for sale, as well as teaching anyone wanting to learn.

4.) Provide alteration services.

5.)  We would have handmade baby gifts, school based gifts, etc. for sale.  Other crafters in the area could sell their items, as well.

6.)  I would like to have an area for scrapbooking and supplies.  Also a space for classes and group meetings.

I have already talked to the bank about a loan. I have many of the supplies on hand already so there wouldn't be much more to attain.  I am currently working on writing the business plan so I may proceed with the loan application.

You are welcome to post any of this on the blog or contact me for more information.  Our youth really need other things to do then roam the streets and such.

Laura Sysel
(402) 580-8533
Laura.sysel@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.